Still have depression; ADHD somewhat controlled

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Still have depression; ADHD somewhat controlled

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Ju 2 years ago.

• Author

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

This discussion was originally started by user JADD in ADDitude’s now-retired community. The ADDitude editors have included it here to encourage more discussion.

I have tried almost all antidepressants.  They always stop working at some time.  I also have PTSD and cannot stop thinking about what caused it.  I feel pretty crappy and can hardly do anything or enjoy anything.

I see a counselor and a psychiatrist.  I wish this feeling would leave me.  It is a feeling of hopelessness, tiredness, laziness, sadness, and injustice.  It is so horrible that I have no motivation, don’t like to see or do things with others.  I have a sick feeling in my stomach constantly and cannot relax, even with Clonazepam and Trazodone.  I feel like I will always feel like this.  Everything I try to do is so very hard.

Does anyone else feel like this every second of life?

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Mitzi McPike in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Good Morning JADD,

I can honestly say I have felt all the feelings you described.

I suffered from PTSD, chronic anxiethy and major depression. I know what it is like to feel hopeless and horrible every day.

You mention you are taking medication for your ADHD and have some relief.

Please don’t give up. You may need to adjust your meds or try a different medication for your ADHD.

I too had been on antidepressants for over 25 years and it wasn’t until I was on the right ADHD medication to supplement my antidepressant that I found a true change in my symptoms.

Just know you are not alone. There is great support here.

Mitzi

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user JADD in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi Mitzi,

Thank you for your comment. I also have anxiety. May I ask you what meds you are taking? Sometimes, I feel I have to mention a medication to try to my psychiatrst.

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Mitzi McPike in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Hi JADD,

I was so fortunate that the first medication I tried which was Ritalin gave me immediate relief of my chronic symtpoms of anxiety and my non-stop motor. I had to adjust the dosage, up, twice to get it just right.

I also was taking Wellbutrin for depression. The combination of the two worked very well.

Do you have the hyperactive/impulsive type ADHD or more Inattentive? Or combination?

Just curious…

Mitzi

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Here’s some help on addressing PTSD:
    http://www.additude.com/slideshow/148/slide-11.html
    http://www.additude.com/adhd-web/article/11378.html

Penny
    Moderator, Author on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen boy with ADHD, LDs, and autism

Kevin Ju
    Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Mara in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I strongly recommend that you read a book called The Depression Cure by Dr. Stephen Ilardi (that’s ILARDI). My therapist recommended it to me, and it has answered more of my questions and offered more effective solutions for the treatment and alleviation of depression than I thought possible. The book proposes what the author calls Therapeutic Lifestyle Change, or TLC, and it is a drug-free approach (not that Dr. Ilardi disrespects antidepressant meds, though he shares some surprising facts about them.) I am very much like you, suffered from PTSD and almost lifelong depression. I couldn’t relax or enjoy anything anymore, and everything was hard. My thoughts were all negative and I was miserable. I still have some rough days, but this book has done more for me than I can say. Read it and see what you think. I really believe it can help you. All the best,

Mara

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.