School mornings

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents School mornings

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

mooted
    Participant

Hi, hope it’s ok to post here. My dd is 4 and started reception last sept. At first she was ok but when they introduced lunchtime with the full school it was a downward spiral. She hasn’t officially been diagnosed with anything yet but is on the wait list for sensory assessment with the view of possible adhd. She thankfully has an amazing teacher who fully understands her but mornings are still an issue. She can sometimes be ok and go in fine,other days she gets totally overwhelmed and melts down. Her teacher allowed us to take her through the school office instead to see if that helped as we thought it could be the busyness of the class door(she struggles in crowds or if there is a lot of hustle and bustle), which worked for a couple of days but today we had the same issue and she had to be coaxed in by a receptionist and her older sister. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem and can offer any advice please on what might help? Many thanks xx

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Sounds like school is too stressful for her, in the current status quo. It can be so incredibly overwhelming when you have sensory sensitivities and can even feel like an assault.

“How Stress Impacts Learning & Behavior in Kids with ADHD” with Jerome J. Schultz, Ph.D.

Your Child Is Sending You Signals. Are You Ignoring Them?

“I Have a Student Who Is Too Stressed to Learn”

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

mooted
      Participant

Yes I thought that but she settles fine once she’s in and according to the teacher interacts well etc. She also plays “schools” a lot at home. It seems that the main issues are actually going in and lunchtimes when it’s busiest. I’ve thought about homeschooling her but she’s very social and would miss it I think x

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

She can be very anxious and settle once she gets there and sees that things are ok today. Anxiety can cause one to obsessively worry about the what-ifs, to the point of basically freezing.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Bernise
    Participant

Hm, thats tough! I kind of ‘get’ her behavior, I feel like I’ve been there too. To me feels like she doesn’t want to do some thing (fear of…) but once she’s in class, she has no choice but to accept the situation. Thats what happened to me anyway. Could you talk to her, ask your daughter what scares her about going to school? Maybe create a no judgement zone so she’ll feel safe talking about what’s bothering her? If she can’t seem to explain, is there anything in her playing school at home that might give you a clue as to what might be the problem?

mooted
    Participant

Hi, I’ve listened in to her play so many times and there’s no red flags.She can sometimes be abit bossy as the teacher but nothing that worries me. I’ve tried to talk to her and the only thing that’s been consistent is that she didn’t like to wait in line for lunch. I explained to the school how she is in busy areas and I’ve also noticed she gets anxious in other situations where she has to queue as such. They were great and allowed her the choice to go in earlier. Other than that she tends to just get annoyed and changes the subject. She’s been under speech therapy for a while and sometimes struggles to get her point across so that could be some of the issue too. Some days are great and she will run up to her friends to initiate play but others she will point blank ignore them if they say hello. X

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.