recently diagnosed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ recently diagnosed

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Angelacawein 4 weeks ago.

• Author

crystalmarie81
    Participant

My 7 year old son was just recently diagnosed with adhd. Ive been struggling with him and school for a few years and now the school has finally seen what I’ve been seeing. My process is just starting with him. His doctor has always said that he sees dyslexia and now adhd. The doctor recommends trying the 504 plan first before any medication. Im new to all of this and just a little overwhelmed i guess. Not even sure what exactly the 504 plan entails

Angelacawein
    Participant

Section 504 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is designed to help parents of students with physical or mental impairments in public schools, or publicly funded private schools, work with educators to design customized educational plans. These 504 plans legally ensure that students will be treated fairly at school.The goal of 504 plans is for students to be educated in regular classrooms along with the services, accommodations, or educational aids they might need. If students with these plans can’t achieve satisfactory academic success, as is determined by the school, then alternative settings in the school or private or residential programs can be considered. Some examples of accommodations preferential seating, extended time on tests and assignments, reduced homework or classwork, modified textbooks or audio-video materials, behavior management support, verbal testing. I have 4 children, my two oldest had 504/IEP plans. They both have graduated high school. I still have two at home, a freshman in high school and my daughter in second grade. Both are ADHD but are on medication but don’t need 504/IEP because they are A/B students.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.