Homeschooling

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Eric 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

vero
    Participant

Has anyone been successful with a homeschool program for unmotivated teen, and if so which program have you found to be best. We are located in California. Thank you.

Ella C
    Participant

Hello! I was homeschooled and I have ADHD. The opportunity for a customized education did wonders for me lol. I’m in college now.

I remember my motivation was at rock bottom around ages 14-15. I procrastinated so bad I made myself miserable but I did it anyways. My poor mother tried everything.

Have you tried online classes for your teen? I took several online classes throughout my homeschool education and they helped keep me accountable. The classes I took met live once or twice a week and teachers took attendance.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Here’s a success story on homeschooling kids with ADHD:

How Homeschooling Saved My Smart, Curious Son

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Dr. Eric
    Participant

I have seen it work, but I have also seen it fail.
    Rarely, have I seen it go Ok.

Home school is a lot more work than the marketing for it shares.

When I consult on a specific case where I am asked if I think that homeschool is good for a child, here are the questions that I want answered to know…
    – Would they be prepared if it was 3 times the work than they predicted?
    – How are the child’s academic levels? A child who understands the work, but gets in trouble or conflict over the details or structure of the class will do better than others. For example, can I trust that I say, “come back and show me that you learned…even if how you get there is not what I would recommend.”
    – Are they running towards homeschooling or away from their current situation?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Dr. Eric.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.