Adderall Xr not working

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Adderall Xr not working

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  raivenne_scott 6 days, 5 hours ago.

• Author

mch08101
    Participant

Hey,
    So I was on 50mg of Vyvanse for about 6 months last year, and it worked wonders! However, unknowingly when the new year started and the insurance deductible restarted my insurance went from full coverage to 0 coverage and I have been trying to find a solution ever since. Long story short my insurance which is still under my parents has awful mental health coverage. Just for the appointment with my Doctor that lasts maybe 10 min. (usually shorter) it’s 75 dollars. They only have partial coverage on even generic brands, and only cover one pill a day. So honestly, I have just been using good rx most of the time, because the likely hood of us meeting our deductible is low and that’s usually the fastest, easiest, cheapest option. So as far as medications I tried the generic Adderall instant release and it worked, but I was having awful nausea and side effects. They switched me to 20mg of generic Adderall Xr, and it worked okay, but not nearly as well as the Vyvanse and it wasn’t lasting me the whole day. So, my current prescription is the generic Adderall Xr 20mg 2 times a day, and honestly, I’ve been on it for a month and I either don’t see any benefit or it just makes me more tired. Like I could take my first pill in the morning and fall back asleep even after 8 hours of sleep, and if I do manage to wake up and go to my first class all I want to do after is come home and take a nap before my second. On Vyvanse I had more energy and focus which really improved my motivation and ultimately my mood, but this Adderall Xr doesn’t seem to do anything to help, which is confusing because I have read that if one “class” of stimulant works for you then usually all the drugs within that group do, and the other ones do not, and Adderall and Vyvanse are in the same group. So, I was wondering if 1. anyone else had this problem and what they did as a solution 2. what other options do I have 3. should I make an appointment with my doctor, because I really don’t want to spend that 75 dollars just to spend it again in a month on top of the 100 plus dollars for medication and have it still not work. Please, I need advice and suggestions! I am new to this, have very limited options due to insurance and money being a college student, and I don’t have anyone to talk this through with because my mom doesn’t even know about my diagnosis and medication due to her prejudice and stubbornness. My dad knows but is on a need to know (as little as possible) because my mom doesn’t know which he feels bad about, and even him being more understanding doesn’t really like the idea. Wow, and as you can tell by this long post, and off topic last part Even though I took another Adderall Xr 20mg pill at 1:30 I am all over the place and contemplating going to take a nap.

Angelacawein
    Participant

I don’t care what any doctor or pharmacist says, to the point that they should know but don’t that medication affects people in different ways. Even generic medications from different manufactures. I am ADHD and I have 4 kids with it too. For the past 20 years, I have dealt with medication for 4 kids and myself. It has been a headache dealing with insurance. We would find a medication what works great, be on it a few years or longer, the generic would come out. Insurance would say no brand, go to generic and have problems. For example, my 15 year old son, he has been on medication since he was 2 years old. He started out on Ritalin, didn’t help. He was on Adderall tablets for years and worked. When he went to middle school switched to Addderal xr and it worked great. This past December insurance said no brand name, period. Went to generic and has been sleeping in school and after school and all night and grades have went down. His doctor switched him to vyvanse and now he is complaining of headaches every day and is tired 24/7. His grades have went to F’s and he says it doesn’t even feel like he is on medication. I know several people that have tried adderall and it worked and vyvance didn’t and the other way around. I too tried vyvance and was 72 mg and it did nothing for me. As for the insurance for my son the brand name Adderall is 235.00 a month but the vyvance is 351.99. It seems to me if the person is doing good on a medication they should be able to get it, period. I understand your situation you might write to the manufacture and explain your situation and they usually can help you with it.

mch08101
      Participant

Thanks for letting me know i’m not alone! Your son on the generic Adderall sounds a lot like me! It’s crazy to me that this past summer when I had a tonsillectomy and was prescribed oxycodone it was like 2 dollars for 90 pills, and the doctor had no issue prescribing a second bottle due to my fast metabolism and the long healing time. However, anything to do with mental health is no coverage, super expensive, and a very strict dosage and amount limit. As far as writing to the manufacturers how would that work? I know they have programs, but because I have insurance and am a dependent on my parent’s taxes who make to much to be considered I have been at a dead end with applying for those. Also, I hope your son finds a solution soon!

Angelacawein
    Participant

I did some digging. If you go to the good rx website, type in vyvanse. Scroll to the bottom of the page there is links to visit vyvanse website. There is a manufacture coupon link or patient assistance program. I believe you should be able to use the manufacture coupon with commercial insurance. If you are paying for it through good rx. Please check it out, I have not done the manufacture coupon before or exactly how it works. If I am reading it correctly if you get 30 pills with the card they give you to print. It is 30/60 dollars a script. I believe it is an offer that you can use until the end of the year. Sorry I cant tell you more as my medication quits working around 6 or so. Let me know what you find out and I hope this helps.

bornonthebayou
    Participant

You are embarking on an exciting adventure! The right meds are so important for us. The correct combinations, dosages, times to take each day, these are all vitally important to help us manage our symptoms and you are well on your way to discovering what works best for you. It is trial and error at times. It can’t be rushed. The money you spend on the meds and doctor’s visits and seminars you attend, they are all investments in you, your health, your future. It is good to invest in our lives wisely and with ADHD, we must go a little further than your average bear, but being able to embrace our talents fully should pay excellent dividends. An alternative is to languish, or try against our own biochemistry to will ourselves into paying attention when it isn’t a matter of willpower.

I think surveys should be offered to our community in order to isolate which manufacturers of the meds we take are inferior. I have been deeply disappointed in 2 drug companies recently. Unfortunately, we live during a time when various drug companies have been found guilty of committing massive fraud, ripping off medicare for hundreds of billions of dollars, producing meds with questionable oversight, etc. Not all of them, by any means, don’t get me wrong. That’s why I think surveys could be particularly useful.

As those who face life with this serious condition, we owe it to ourselves to speak up about what we find helpful and that which isn’t. Many of us are old enough and articulate enough to describe our experiences in ways that should make a difference, especially those who are now grown who survived childhood without being diagnosed. We have stories of needless, hellish suffering that should be heard and honored. It seems to me that professionals who have dedicated their lives to help those with our set of challenges, should be diligent to seek our input, to covet our opinions, to insist on really “hearing” us, you and me, and to help us unite. You are making a contribution to that end right now.

Also, I think we should seek to increase our buying power through the strength that comes from numbers. There are many, many thousands of us who might be better served if we joined together to seek financial consideration as a group.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  bornonthebayou.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 5 hours ago by  ADHDmomma.

bornonthebayou
    Participant

You are embarking on an exciting adventure! The right meds are so important for us. The correct combinations, dosages, times to take each day, these are all vitally important to help us manage our symptoms and you are well on your way to discovering what works best for you. It it trial and error at times. It can’t be rushed. The money you spend on the meds and doctor’s visits and seminars you attend, they are all investments in you, your health, your future. It is good to invest in our lives wisely and with ADHD, we must go a little further than your average bear, but being able to embrace our talents fully should pay excellent dividends. An alternative is to languish, or try against our own biochemistry to will ourselves into paying attention when it isn’t a matter of willpower.

I think surveys should be offered to our community in order to isolate which manufacturers of the meds we take are inferior. I have been deeply disappointed in 2 drug companies recently. Unfortunately, we live during a time when various drug companies have been found guilty of committing massive fraud, ripping off medicare for hundreds of billions of dollars, producing meds with questionable oversight, etc. Not all of them, by any means, don’t get me wrong. That’s why I think surveys could be particularly useful.

As those who face life with this serious condition, we owe it to ourselves to speak up about what we find helpful and that which isn’t. Many of us are old enough and articulate enough to describe our experiences in ways that should make a difference, especially those who are now grown who survived childhood without being diagnosed. We have stories of needless, hellish suffering that should be heard and honored. It seems to me that professionals who have dedicated their lives to help those with our set of challenges, should be diligent to seek our input, to covet our opinions, to insist on really “hearing” us, you and me, and to help us unite. You are making a contribution to that end right now.

Also, I think we should seek to increase our buying power through the strength that comes from numbers. There are many, many thousands of us who might be better served if we joined together to seek financial consideration as a group.

mch08101
      Participant

@angelacawein I have tried using those coupons, but unfortunately, since its 290 without them, it only takes it down to 230, which is nice but not really nearly enough for me to be able to afford it monthly at the moment. Thanks for digging though!

@bornonthebayou What you said is true it is an investment, and I like that way of thinking! Also, I have heard about the fraud scandals with generic brand manufacturers, and think that those surveys are a great idea! As well as having some community say at these outrages prices!

Angelacawein
    Participant

I will ask my doctor if there is something else you can do, since drug reps flood his office. If you don’t mind me asking, who is the manufacture of the adderall xr you are taking? You can have the pharmacy order certain manufactures if they can’t they can tell you who can and can use the good rx.

Skypark962
    Participant

I’d like to know who the manufacturer is too.

judiro
    Participant

My husband tried the generic Adderall XR, and had a pretty terrible experience. At first he felt some improvement with it, but over time he started to feel worse. Worse than he felt when not taking anything. After a lot of research, we learned that the stimulant in Adderall depletes your body of magnesium, a mineral people with ADHD tend to be naturally deficient of in the first place. Our experience was therefore that the adderall exacerbated his magnesium deficiency, which led to tiredness–like you say, not feeling rested even after 8-10 hours of sleep–anxiety, depression, joint pain, fatigue.

You might want to try magnesium supplementation to start, and gradually weaning off the adderall before you try another medication. Don’t stop adderall cold, though. My husband wanted to be off of it so badly, that he just stopped cold. And it was terrible. I actually had to take a few days off of work to stay with him because the process of adderall leaving his system left him feeling really in a really dark place. It was scary enough to him, that he won’t try another medication. Instead he’s been working on cleaning up his diet (eliminating gluten, dairy, egg, soy, corn) and supplementing with magnesium and a lot of probiotics. This has been enough for him. It might not be for everyone, but don’t underestimate the effect of diet and supplementation. It’s not a “cure”, but it definitely contributes. For some people it’s enough to make things more manageable without meds. For others, it can reduce your need for meds to a lower dosage.

raivenne_scott
    Participant

Have you tried Mydayis? Here’s the website: https://www.mydayis.com

It’s made by the same company that makes Vyvanse but it’s their version of Aderall XR basically Vyvanse but it’s amphetamine salts and it’s supposed to give you the jump in energy and focus like Vyvanse but it’s supposed to last 16 hours. With the good RX coupon it’s like 250 but my doctor gave me a coupon card at my last appointment with some info on it and the card said only pay up to $25 for your prescription and that was for both mydayis and Vyvanse. Definitely ask your dr about the coupon of you haven’t already! Thinking about trying the mydayis since I’m used to the 90 mg of immediate release adderall that I take daily and have been doing so for quite a while now. I’ve found that I have to rotate the meds that I’m on every 6 months or so because even if you don’t take them every day like I skip the weekends or take only like 30 mg your body still builds up a tolerance. I generally can tell that it’s time to rotate when I start getting sleepy on my meds or like being on 90 mg and can’t focus or productive to save my life. I rambled but I hope the info helps and I apologize if what I said was already said in the previous posts. 🙂 wasn’t patient enough to read each post thoroughly haha

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.