2 boys 2 different personalities both have add

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents 2 boys 2 different personalities both have add

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Meighan
    Participant

I am a mom of 6. 4 boys and 2 girls. The school started to notice my boys werent where they are supposed to be academically. My oldest doesnt socialize well. He doet not speak much and does not make eye contact. His grades are decent. My 8 year old is still going through evaluations. He is basically failing everything. Soooo many f’s. He tells me all the time, i feel stupid. Im doing everything i can to show him how smart and wonderful hhe is. I work with him on the weekends and got him a tutor. Nothing is working. I feel like a failure and all i want to do is cry. Please tell me there is light at the end of this dark tunnel? What else can i do????

ligia
    Participant

Hi Meighan
    I also have two boys and both have different personalities . Both are ADHD, one gives more problem with being to fidgety and not sitting in class but is extremely bright . The other is well behaved but is easily distracted , lose things , talks impulsively … and gets his Ds and Fs.
    We have been able to get better in grades by going back to basics . He was failing in reading the deal is he can’t comprehend because he reads with no fluency and comprehension then gets lost . So back to read for him ask what he understood from very basic book like bob books he is 7 years old .Math he was having big problems to add and subtract … it results he was struggling to count . Now you may think this is because he had a bad education … not really . The way he needs to learn and process information is that he needs to do this simple work on a daily basis so he can retain it . Everyday he needs to read and write , not by just doing the work from school but by going back to basic materials. Find out what his weaknesses are and start from there .
    Changing diet , exercise and vitamins also has helped my children . Hope you can find the piece to the puzzle soon . Wishing you good luck .
    Regards
    Lig

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

It sounds like your 8-year-old may have an additional learning disability. Has he been evaluated for specific LDs? If he’s really struggling, despite lots of help, I’d ask for an evaluation for dyslexia, dysgraphia/written expression disorder, and possibly dyscalculia (if he’s struggling in math too). It’s time to seek more answers.

Does Your Child Have a Learning Disability? Take This Symptom Self-Test

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.